Northern Nevada RAVE Family Foundation
Respite Service Care Provider – Job Description
Revised August 28, 2021
The Respite Service Care Provider is a part-time hourly position reporting to the Director of Programs. This position provides high-quality care to children 3 months through 22 years in a safe and fun social environment while providing hands on training, mentorship, and direct supervision to youth volunteers during operating hours for the respite sessions of the RAVE Family Center, Jr. RAVE and or Teen RAVE programs. Each scheduled respite session will consist of 2-4 Respite Service Providers. The Volunteer Coordinator, Family Coordinator, and Director of Programs will serve as support staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties consist of but are not limited to session set up and prep, providing hands on training, mentoring, interaction, and guidance to youth volunteers, providing supervision and the highest quality of care and safety for all children in attendance, as well as appropriate interaction with RAVE families (parents, guardians, siblings, and extended family members). Respite sessions are to be run similar to a childcare/preschool/after school care setting. Activities will be made available based on the session planning sheet, session theme, or child request. Children are not to be divided based on size, age, or ability. All children scheduled for respite care provided through the RAVE Family Center, Jr. RAVE, and or Teen RAVE should feel accepted by all staff and included in all activities.
- Provide training, supervision, and be a positive role model for youth volunteers. Provide effective ways to work with young children and families.
- Assist in session planning, prepare materials and activities prior to each respite session with the assistance of the, Lead Service Provider, Co-Service Providers, and team of youth volunteers.
- Conduct a meeting at the beginning AND at the end of each session, reviewing children’s files with the student volunteers, providing positive and constructive feedback (including questions and teambuilding exercises).
- RAVE Family Center Staff: to provide as safe, fun, social environment for up to twenty scheduled children ages 3 months through six years while providing a quality learning experience for up to twenty youth volunteers.
- Provide as safe, fun, social environment for up to fifteen scheduled youth 7-12 or 13-22 years while providing a quality learning experience for up to fifteen youth volunteers.
- Complete cleaning and sanitizing tasks as directed in the RAVE Policy and Procedure Manual. Ensure the classroom is clean and in order before leaving.
- Assist in the initial and ongoing training of volunteers, college interns, and new RAVE staff
- Provide the Volunteer and Respite Care Coordinator with input for the end of the year evaluation forms for families, staff, and volunteers. Complete end of the year program evaluation for staff.
- Attend all staff meetings and special events.
- 2 years RAVE experience volunteer experience a plus.
- Nonprofit work experience preferred.
- Work experience in Early Childhood education, Special Education and/or Human services field.
Necessary Skills and Traits:
- Positive attitude, strong problem solving and critical thinking skills, ability to recognize situations & adapt quickly.
- Demonstrates initiative, self-motivation, creativity, and vision.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely both orally and written.
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential information.
- Ability to handle difficult situations and behaviors.
- Flexibility and means of transportation to work all RAVE locations.
- Able to sit or stand and walk throughout the scheduled work shift
- Able to lift and/or move up to 75 lbs.
- Fun, meaningful and rewarding work environment
- Competitive earnings: $13-15 per hour dependent on experience.
This is not an exhaustive list of all duties. All RAVE employees are expected to perform evolving tasks as necessary based on the overall needs of the organization and RAVE families. RAVE is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or disability.